Pages

Cheerio, Life Choices

Friday, November 13, 2015

Imagine you are at the super market. You are craving Honey Nut Cheerios, the brand we all know and love because their commercials claim to lower our cholesterol. But, all of a sudden when you are reaching for this box, you realize, there are other brands that make basically the same cereal. What makes them different? Should you go for the cheaper box? The more colorful box? The classic box? How do you solidify which cereal you really want, when you know you can't open each box to try them all? There is a point to this cereal story, I promise, but you need to read on to understand...



I recently was catching up on one of the most inspirational bloggers I follow, Allison, at Because I Said So. Not only does she have an incredible sense of fashion, but I can relate to basically all of her blog posts in one way or another. Plus her motivation and continuation to keep her blog up is just incredible. 

Job hunting is not easy, and is definitely a full time job in and of itself. Having two part-time jobs, by the time I come home, I am already so tired, I just want to watch Netflix and sleep. But alas, my internship ends December 31, and I told my other part time job that I would not be returning come January.
Here and there I receive an email from a company saying they found my resume on so and so website, and they give me the job description. Other days I am online for countless hours into night time and am constantly applying to jobs, any jobs that sounds remotely interesting. Allison was job hunting and interviewing for a completely different job, when her dream job position seemed to sort of just fall in her lap. This isn't luck, or chance. That is fate. It is knowing what you really want, working extremely hard, and everything falling into place.

Now-a-days, it isn't what you know, but rather it is all timing and who you know. It is a crazy world where there are jobs and there are job openings, but if you don't have the experience, they don't want you. Yet, in college, I was constantly told that if I keep getting all of these internships and work opportunities, I will be over qualified.
So what is the happy medium? Honestly, I wish I could tell you. I, myself, am torn. I have all of these expectations and standards I have set for myself, which most have changed from when I was younger, but the principles remain the same. I have high expectations for myself, and I will not settle for just any job. I want to love my career, and I want to wake up in the morning with a smile on my face, wanting to go to work, because when I find my right career path, I will be making a difference in one way or another. That is my goal. I want to be able to look back on my life and say "hey look, I did that" or " I was a part of the conversation that sparked this movement" or "I was involved in this."

Happiness doesn't have a price-tag, but today it does have a label. For years now I have wanted to be a campaign manager. Today, campaign managers not head only political campaigns,but can manage social media campaigns, marketing, advertising, email marketing, the list goes on.
So, in a super market full of honey nut cheerios, all a different brand name, but all the same basic cereal, which do you pick?

Hopefully I didn't just make you crave cereal, but rather consider all of the options we have in life. I'm currently at a point where I can decide which career path, or cereal box to choose, and I can't lie... it is terrifying. I know everything happens for a reason, and everything works out the way it is supposed to, but that doesn't make options seem less daunting.

How did you get to where you are now? What made you choose your current career path? Are you truly happy?
Any advice or comments would help me and this post-grad-funk!

Happy FriYAY, and I hope you have an incredible weekend!






1 comment:

When you comment, I turn into a little kid at a candy shop and get really giddy. Plus it makes my day (:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS